Friday, March 28, 2008

Terrorism is killing The Constitution, and his name is George Bush

From Wikipedia’s article, United States Constitution: Fourth Amendment: guards against searches, arrests, and seizures of property without a specific warrant or a "probable cause" to believe a crime has been committed. Some rights to privacy have been inferred from this amendment and others by the Supreme Court.


The fourth amendment protects us against unreasonable search and seizure. Like many Americans, I’ve watched Bush repeatedly cross this particular line of constitutionality. How far will we let the administration go? Maybe the question is how can we get them to stop?

The place where I think most people see this is at the airport, where the Department of Homeland Security turns unskilled laborers into gods. Of course the Department and TSA have procedures and guidelines for which travelers they pick for extra screening, but they won’t tell anyone what those guidelines are. On top of those guidelines, agents have a lot of power and really need no provocation to decide you’re one of the randomly chosen. I’m not sure how they rationalize “random” as “probable cause.”

One of the more recent trends in these searches is the searching of data and electronics. It used to be you’d put your laptop bag on the belt (still wearing shoes and your jacket), walked through the detector and then went on your merry way. Occasionally I’d see them ask someone to turn it on – I guess to check and make sure it wasn’t a case hiding something else. This happened to someone I was traveling with once and my first thought was, shoot, what if your battery was dead. Heh, anyways. Now agents have the power to do much more and they are.

This issue is raising a lot of debate over what is property and what is an extension, essentially, of intellectualism. Some of us might be embarrassed by what an agent might find or feel like our privacy is violated, like when Mom reads your diary. That is certainly important. But there are other serious implications. Most companies rely heavily on proprietary information. Agents can ask you for all your passwords, to see all your files and data, search extensively. This issue is being tried in courts but not getting very far yet.

A great number of unreasonable things can put you at risk for extra search – the wrong name or color of skin, that you bought your tickets at the last minute, and where you’re flying from. Of course, if you look at the TSA guy wrong, he can consider that cause for search.

I ran across an article this week, I hope you saw it… from CNN, Traveler says she was forced to remove nipple ring

TSA has moved beyond unreasonable searching of property, physical or electronic, and went right on to violating people’s bodies. This woman offered ample availability to have a female agent privately inspect the piercings that set off the metal detector (still too far in my book) but nope, wasn’t good enough. She had to remove them. Now unlike the deal with “full body cavity search” you see in movies, and I guess probably are real, you can’t actually hide a whole lot in a nipple ring or the actually pierced skin. TSA states in their Passenger Civil Rights “We are also committed to treating each traveler with dignity and respect throughout the screening process.” I’m sure she was feeling dignity and respect as the TSA workers laughed. She’s suing of course. If she doesn’t win, I’m moving to Europe.

How far are we going to let them go? Not just TSA or the Department of Homeland Security, but the administration as a whole. This isn’t the only right we’ve lost as individuals in the last seven years. They’ve used Terror as a means to put themselves above the law. George Bush has repeatedly shown he believes himself to be above the Constitution. He does not need to pay heed to the Bill of Rights. He alone knows what is best for this country no matter what we think. Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights is one of the characteristics of fascism. So is Obsession with National Security.

I pray everyday that we actually survive as a democracy until the next presidency. Okay, I don’t really pray exactly, I’m an atheist. Don’t tell anyone though, I think it’s cause for wire-tapping.


On electronic searches: From the Washington Post, Clarity Sought on Electronics Searches

And

From CNN, Suit: Airport searches of laptops, other devices intrusive

Additional reading for your pleasure: George Bush and the 14 points of fascism from Old American Century

In case they’ve been trounced upon so many times you forgot what they were: The Bill of Rights care of www.constitution.org

Because I mentioned it and it’s amazing that they pretend this is their policy: TSA's Passenger Civil Rights

6 comments:

Jason Lundin said...

I don’t enjoy going through security at the airport any more than anyone else does. Unfortunately this is the day and age we live in. I would rather be inconvenienced or embarrassed at the airport than ever see another American plane plunged into the side of a building. Now I’m not saying that the nipple ring incident or any other incident is right or wrong but with any system that is controlled by people there will be mistakes made, but at the end of the day it’s all in the name of safety and fear of making a mistake that causes another 911. As far as our fourth amendment goes, I think times have changed a little since it was written. I doubt when it was written, airport security against terrorists aiming to turn jetliners into missiles was a major concern. I don’t feel the administration is trying to turn TSA agents into gods. I feel as though they are confronted with a very difficult job and the government wants to ensure they are given the tools necessary to accomplish that job. So for myself when I am at the airport and I am frustrated I try and put myself in their shoes. It is not a responsibility I would want to bear. Unfortunately what’s starting to happen now, is that a considerable amount of time has gone by since 911 and people want to start seeing the rules relaxed. In my opinion that is just what the terrorist are waiting for. I personally applaud TSA for doing a good job on a very difficult task.

Jason Lundin
US Govt. 2305

open minded politics said...

I could not agree with this post more! We are in a state of fear. Whether people want to believe it or not that is just where they want us. By having us in this state of fear they can manipulate us easily. I do not put all the blame on George Bush he could do all this alone. We have continously let them take away more and more of our rights. When it comes to the airport it is very much discrimination. How do they decide who looks the most suspicious, by discriminating! I know of plenty of citizens of this country who have felt this discrimination. We all need to take a closer look at the big picture and see what the truth really is instead of just taking everything at face value.

chanel1808 said...

“Terrorism is killing The Constitution, and his name is George Bush”, is a very informative blog. It is terrifying to know that government documents such as the Bill of Rights, which we have been governed by since 1791, can be disregarded and violated as it has been by the very person that was chosen to uphold them. After reading the blog I did some research of my own and found nothing but article upon article about how George Bush has violated several amendments since he has been in office.

“Terrorism is killing the Constitution…” was an excellent blog as it gave readers some insight into how their own rights are being violated (hopefully they already knew). It spoke about the airport where a lot of Americans can witness this first hand. Safety is definitely the main concern, however, the way that the screenings and searches are being conducted is the issue. The blog addresses how TSA (Transportation Security Administration) agents are given authority to do just about anything, to screen and search anyone and for any reason. This authority may very well be abused. Like in the case of Mandi Hamlin, the woman the blog mentioned, who was forced to remove her nipple rings with male agents laughing in the background while trying to depart from Lubbock, Texas. Although CNN.com reports that TSA claims the agent followed procedures they also agree that these same procedures need to be changed.

The blog also points out that you can be surprised with a “random” search due to a variety of irrational reasons. It would be nice to know what basis they were conducting the searches, unfortunately that information is not public knowledge. After 9/11 my sister and brother-in-law, who’s last name just happens to be Muhammad, always have the pleasure of being held up at the security gate of an Airport for extra screening or mysteriously blocked from sending family members $100.00 through Western Union to another city in Texas. I don’t know… maybe in their case it’s their last name; the color of their skin; or perhaps the fact that they’re Muslim sporting a hijab (head scarf)? Whatever the case may be, they are now labeled as a possible risk. This is sad because they are good, law abiding Americans.

It seems as though George Bush envisions a dictatorship… a United States of Bush. He adds his own amendments to the Constitution and Bill of Rights as he sees fit. The fourth and fifth amendment has just about been abolished and he seems to have single handedly destroyed the constitution. I for one am happy his reign is coming to an end.

"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —President-elect George W. Bush, at a photo-op with congressional leaders during his first trip to Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000

“Our Constitution is in actual operation; everything appears to promise that it will last; but in this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.” --Benjamin Franklin

Wes said...

I found a blog hosted by TSA. There are some interesting comments from fellow citizens about the topic you posted on. It's nice to know what everyone thinks about it.

http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/03/tsa-and-piercings.html#links

Anonymous said...

Once again I find myself out of my element as I dip my hands into yet another political blog. Today my motivation comes from Mary's blog titled "Terrorism is Killing the Constitution, and his name is George Bush." I believe the name of the blog sums up everything. Mary starts off by establishing the fact that the 4th amendment protects us against unreasonable search and seizure. This amendment is violated on a daily basis as people continue to use planes as transportation. Personally I haven't been on a plane in about 17 years but I have heard several stories about airport security randomly searching peoples belongings, which often leads one to wonder what qualifies one as a search worthy candidate.

Apparently a more recent trend causes for searching of data and electronics. So if you are traveling with your lap top, be ready to give up total privacy because you will be asked for passwords to access all of your personal files. I felt that Mary made a great comparison when she compared this to when mom reads your diary. I can remember in 2005 when my brother was playing basketball for Tarleton State University in Stephenville. The team was on there way to a tournament in California. As they boarded the plane, security randomly pulled three of them aside and started searching their bags. At the time my brothers roommate had a Playstation 2 video game console stored and packed safely. He just happened to be one of the lucky three who were chosen for inspection. Not knowing what the bag contained, the guard carelessly grabbed his bag and threw it several feet away from them to the ground. Fortunately nothing was damaged in the process. My brothers bag was also searched. I remember him telling me that the security dumped all of his belongings onto the ground; underwear and all as he stood there in disbelief as people watched.

As I continued reading Mary's blog I was shocked to read that airport security will go even further to humiliate and ridicule passengers. Mandi Hamilton was violated in the most unimaginable way when she was forced her to remove nipple piercings with a pair of pliers as the guards snickered and laughed. Eventually she was able to remove the rings and board the plane but not without avoiding the pain caused by removing her piercings. As reported by CNN, Mandi is now suing and plans to move to Europe if she doesn't win.

I understand the special safety precautions that must be taken because of 9/11. If you are gonna be this extreme, why not take each boarding passenger into a room and completely strip them naked? I still have my doubts as to what really happened on 9/11 but thats another story. The question that continues to resurface is; who are the terrorist? Is President Bush really our president or is he a decoy used to represent the actions of a private unknown government agency who controls and knows all? Maybe we should refer to them as the Phantom Terrorist. They provide us with the internet and phones so they can monitor our behavior. Maybe 9/11 was supposed to happen in an attempt to control the population or strike fear into our hearts. Judging by some of the tactics being used by national security it seems that they are exercising methods of oppression on all of us. It leads me to believe that somehow we are all tagged with computer chips at birth. I'm not sure if a new president can reverse any of these conditions.

I enjoyed reading this blog. Thanks for the good and informative read Mary. I'll probably think twice about getting piercings. Just imagine those who have piercings below the waist!!! I don't travel much but after reading this I want to move to Europe. Ugh!!!

Natalie said...

I definetly agree with this post. I do understand the precautions taken at the airport but seriously there should be some limit to it. Or as others have stated how do they decide who looks more suspicious, by discrimanation of course. I believe some of the actions taken by some airport security are not necessary. There is no need to cause people with such humiliation. I do believe President Bush is to blame for the majority of the problems are nation is facing. I mean seriously he is our nation's president and what has he done to help us.

I enjoyed reading this blog. Good work Mary, thanks for the great information. I'll be sure to inform others.